We understand the importance of finding the right tonneau cover that seamlessly combines durability, security, and functionality. That’s why we’ve thoroughly tested and evaluated the BAKFlip MX4 to provide you with all the essential details you need to make an informed decision for your truck.
In this blog, we’ll walk you through the impressive features that set the BAKFlip MX4 apart from its competitors. From its rugged construction and weather-resistant properties to its ease of installation and practicality, we leave no stone unturned.
Let’s get started to get more insight through our BAKFlip MX4 review!
BAKFlip MX4 review – Quick view
- Material: Aircraft-grade aluminum panels with a matte-finished, scratch-resistant top layer.
- Core: Premium-density foam core for insulation and weather resistance.
- Seal: Robust EPDM rubber seal for a watertight fit.
- Panel Thickness: Approximately 1/2 inch.
- Weight Capacity: The BAKFlip MX4 can support evenly distributed weight of up to 400 pounds when the cover is closed.
- Design: Sleek and low-profile design that sits flush with the truck bed when closed, reducing wind resistance during driving.
- Operation: Patented rail design enables easy one-handed operation, allowing you to flip open or close the cover effortlessly.
- Secure Positions: The cover can be secured in multiple positions, providing versatile cargo management options.
- Compatibility: Available in multiple sizes to fit popular truck models, including mid-size and full-size trucks from various brands like Ford, Chevrolet, GMC, Toyota, Ram, and more.
- Accommodates Accessories: Designed to accommodate truck accessories like bed liners and bed rail caps without hindrance.
- Durable Construction: The BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover can support up to 400 lbs of weight when distributed evenly, and its installation process is straightforward. This hard folding cover comes with a hassle-free 5-year warranty and is backed by a US-based support team.
- Matte-Finished Top Layer: Featuring matte-finished aluminum panels, protecting against marks, scratches and UV damage; as well as premium upgrades to the perimeter seals and hardware
- Weather Resistance: The MX4 features a premium density foam core and a robust EPDM rubber seal, providing insulation and a watertight seal. This weather resistance keeps your truck bed and cargo safe from rain, snow, and other harsh elements.
- Low-Profile Design: When closed, the BAKFlip MX4 sits flush with the truck bed, creating a low-profile and streamlined appearance. This design minimizes wind resistance while driving and enhances the overall visual attractiveness of your truck.
- Versatile Cargo Management: The MX4 tonneau cover can be secured in multiple positions along the truck bed. This feature allows you to have partial or full bed access, providing versatile cargo management options.
- Durable Construction: The BAKFlip MX4 is constructed using top-notch materials, such as aircraft-grade aluminum panels, ensuring prolonged durability and protection against damage and deterioration.
- Sleek Design: The low-profile, flush-mount design of the MX4 complements the look of your truck, adding a sleek and stylish touch to your vehicle.
- Weather Resistance: The MX4’s premium density foam core and EPDM rubber seals offer excellent weather resistance, protecting your truck bed and cargo from rain, snow, and other harsh elements.
- Secure Cargo Management: The MX4 allows for versatile cargo management with multiple secure positions.
- User-Friendly Operation: The patented rail design makes opening and closing the cover a breeze, and it can be easily operated with just one hand.
- Compatibility: The BAKFlip MX4 is available in various sizes to fit popular truck models from different brands, ensuring a custom fit for your specific vehicle.
- Scratch-Resistant Top Layer: The matte-finished top layer adds a sleek look to the cover and provides scratch resistance, keeping it looking new over time.
- Relatively Expensive: The BAKFlip MX4 is a premium tonneau cover, and its quality and features come at a higher price compared to some other tonneau cover options.
- Limited Height Clearance: The design of the MX4 may slightly reduce the height clearance in your truck bed, limiting the space for taller cargo items.
- Partial Bed Access: While the multiple secure positions are beneficial for cargo management, some users may find that they need to flip up the entire cover to access the entire truck bed fully.
- Installation Complexity: While the MX4 comes with all the necessary installation components, some users may find the installation process slightly more involved compared to other simpler tonneau covers.
- Weight Limitations: The BAKFlip MX4 has a weight capacity of up to 400 pounds when the cover is closed. While this is suitable for most regular cargo, heavier items may need to be placed directly on the truck bed.
Why is BAKFlip MX4 So Popular?
The BAKFlip MX4 is highly popular for several compelling reasons:
1. Easy to Operation
There are no features missing from the BAKFlip that truck owners would want. With four panels for extra-long beds, this tri-fold tonneau cover is low-profile. Pulling on either cable-pull release will open and release the tailgate. Using cable pulls, each panel may be locked into position and then unlocked. This adds further security to the BAKFlip MX4 along the mounting rails and keeps the panels from being lifted up by strong crosswinds.
Big cargo can fit in your truck bed thanks to the panels’ ability to fold over on themselves. In order to access almost the entire bed, you can either leave the folded-over panels lying horizontally on top of the final panel (secured in place with a strap as you drive along) or fold the panel over one more time so that it stands up against the truck’s back cab window. The tipped-up panels are held in place on either side by a strong lock-rod system.
Additionally, BAKFlip comes with rubber molding that is adhesive-backed and fastens to folded panels. Place the molding in the recommended location to prevent chafing or other damage between the folded panels and the rear of your truck cab. The cover is significantly simpler to unfold. The panels automatically lock into place as you draw them over. With the tailgate up or down, the last panel latches.
2. Great Materials, Great Construction
The BAKFlip MX4’s lid and side rails are made of a sturdy aluminum alloy with a matte black finish. 400 pounds of equally distributed weight may be supported by the cover thanks to its strengthened aluminum frame. Almost anything can be carried atop the MX4. The BackFlip MX4 makes it simple while you’re working on a weekend project as well as safeguarding your work vehicle.
We’re also discussing specifics here. No exposed aluminum is present. The entire design is modern and all-black, just as you would like your truck bed cover to be.
Aluminum does not refer to the kind found in foldable lawn chairs either. This aluminum alloy is of the aircraft grade. You may feel confident using it to cover the truck bed if it passed FAA inspection since it must be strong enough to survive their scrutiny.
Specialized rubber is used to make anything that isn’t metal. To cover the hinges and completely seal the MX4, BAKFlip employs EDPM rubber. The three major components of this mixture are ethylene, propylene, and diene monomers, or EDPM.
The combination of these three results in a synthetic rubber with a single bond and a molecular structure that is perfect for usage outdoors and over time. EDPM is very flexible, resistant to UV rays, water, and the ravages of time. Even if your truck is an outdoor vehicle that hardly ever enters a garage, it still performs its function and is aesthetically pleasing years later.
Before we discuss the BAKFlip and how it prevents criminals from entering your truck’s bed, let’s briefly discuss security. Tonneau coverings that are impervious to theft are quite rare. In actuality, very little is theft-proof. Any lock or anti-theft mechanism may be defeated by a competent burglar who wants something badly enough.
Your objective is to avoid drawing attention to whatever is in your truck bed and to make things challenging for anybody who decides to break in. If you are successful in your mission, the thief will go to the following truck in the parking lot.
The BAKFlip MX4 is able to do this. If you have a locking tailgate and the panels are fully extended, nobody can see inside your truck. No one will be aware it is available for theft if you don’t publicize it. Against the side rails and the tailgate, the final panel locks into place.
By pushing on the recessed cable pulls at each end of the rear rail, you may remove the panels. Only when the tailgate is lowered will you have access to these cable pulls. So, if your truck bed has a locking tailgate, you’ve been successful in making it hard to break into.
Tonneau covers are not totally waterproof or theft-proof, just as they are not completely watertight. When you read the tiny print, you’ll discover that the majority of manufacturers are cautious to make this distinction. They are just water resistant.
However, the BAKFlip MX4 is known for being among the more water-resistant tonneau covers available. There are not many grievances. The installation is the key to having a water-tight tonneau cover. Take your time and adhere to the guidelines. Each side rail of the BAKFlip MX4 has a channel that is designed to capture and divert runoff.
At the front of your bed, there are two drainage hoses where the water can exit the side rail or enter one of them. The hoses stretch down to outlets in your truck’s bed that are intended for drainage, and they tuck discreetly into each corner of the bed up against the bulkhead.
Once the installation is complete, put it through an automatic vehicle wash. Those sprayers are excellent for aiming water to the bed of your vehicle from all directions. The carwash will locate any leaks you may have. To discover whether you missed a step, double-check your installation.
In our experience, this tonneau cover lasts a very long time. It withstands daily usage and repeated use. The seals and weatherstripping are not weakened by repeatedly folding and unfolding the panels or opening and shutting the tailgate. You will have a tonneau cover like this for a very long time.
Even if you reside in one of these states where the sun never sets, the black-matte finish still looks like new. Specifically, we’re referring to Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California. On the market are preservatives. Apply one of those periodically if you want to practice some preventative maintenance. When the seasons change, we advise doing it.
Insulation and molding do deteriorate. The insulation may become thin after four or five years. Make an effort to prevent clutter like dirt, leaves, and debris off the molding. It will quicken the procedure. And the majority of moldings are simple to repair if they do wear out.
The BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover is a reliable one. In fact, BAKFlip offers a five-year warranty on it. Executives of the company are aware of its brand’s strength. There are multiple accounts of BAKFlip delivering replacement components, and even completely new covers, to customers who were having issues.
|2004-14 Ford F150
|2015-20 Ford F150
|2021-23 Ford F150
|2008-16 Ford F250 / F350 Super Duty
|2017-23 Ford F250 / F350 Super Duty
|2009-21 Dodge Ram
|2019-23 Dodge Ram
|2015-22 GM Colorado, Canyon
|2007-21 Toyota Tundra
How does the BAKFlip MX4 compare to its rivals?
The MX4 has proven to be such a brilliant tonneau cover that even BAKFlip has tried to imitate it, proving the adage that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Which choices are better?
1. The MX4 vs. F1 BAKFlip
Actually, not much distinguishes the FI from the MX4. The F1 features a composite core that is sandwiched between top and bottom sheets of aluminum, as opposed to the MX4, which is constructed of aluminum and supported by an aluminum frame. The outcome is the same: a 400-pound weight rating with equally distributed weight.
What makes a difference, then? The F1 costs between $1,169.00 and $1,219.00 and features a gloss black finish. Some people might believe that the name makes your truck stand out from the competition and is a little bit cooler. The rationale is that it is not an MX4. This is an F1.
2. MX4 vs. BAKFlip G2
The BAKFlip G2 is the MX4 light, yet there isn’t much quality loss. For individuals who don’t need to carry the entire world on top of their truck cover, the G2 could be the solution at a cheaper price point—$909.00 to $1,099.99—because there is a little less metal in the support frame.
All of the panels lock into place, and it has a matte black surface. Additionally, you continue to receive a three-year guarantee and the fantastic BAKFlip brand.
3. MX4 vs. BAKFlip Fibermax
The gap between the G2 and the MX4 is filled by the Fibermax. The panels have a three-year guarantee and can support 300 pounds of equally distributed weight since they are composed of fiberglass-reinforced polymer. It has a gloss black finish.
Most BAKFlip products have a solid reputation and excellent customer service, but when they introduced the MX4, they nailed it with a tri-folding tonneau cover that practically everyone appreciates.
BAKFlip MX4: Real World test
According to the auto expert in the video, the backflip material is quite nice. Once they fold the cover up this part would crack. There would be a physical crack in the rubber alongside here causing leaks in the plastic clip holder.
This one feels extremely solid and there are four end caps on each side of the cover at the end so the rubber strip doesn’t peel up. This cover is that you can open and close the tailgate first cuz there’s a Rubber seal on the edge here so that’s a bonus you don’t have to close your tailgate before you close the cover let me hop on the tailgate.
The Rubber seal that touches the tailgate it’s quite soft and the material seems pretty good with this foam padding here so it sits on the next cover so it won’t scratch padding all along the way the steel cable is covered with a plastic coating.
It would be like metal strips coming off it which pokes your hand when you grab it and the string even falls off so I have to take off the screws to get it fixed where it is.
This one feels quite solid, nothing is rusting yet so that’s a bonus so as you can see when you pull the string it pulls the clip back so you can lift it up.
When you fold the second part there’s a clip that you can adjust the locking into place for both sides so when you’re on the highway, stuff will fly back over and hit whatever you got in the back.
1. Do I need to adjust the cover every time I open the tailgate?
Opening or closing the tailgate does not require you to adjust the cover. You can close the tailgate of the Bakflip MX4 with the cover up or down thanks to an incorporated tailgate seal feature.
2. Can I drive when BAKFlip opens?
Yes. The brand-new straps and buckles are now considered standard on new BAKFlip models. The bed can be partially accessed and rear window visibility is enhanced by strapping the cover flat to the rails behind the cab.
3. Does my BAKFlip require a dealer to be installed?
No. BAKFlip is simple to install if you’re a weekend mechanic and have a few basic tools. Typically, installation takes 30 minutes.
4. If my truck lacks a tailgate lock, how do I lock the BakFlip?
Easy. Although it appears like every new vehicle has an OE tailgate lock, if your truck doesn’t, a Pop & Lock or other comparable lock can be added to your truck to complete the bed security.
5. Can I drive my trucks while the BAKFlip is flipped up?
Yes. The BAKFlip’s design includes the ability to drive with the device flipped up against the cab. You can drive with the cover open at safe highway speeds by locking the prop rods to keep them open on both sides.
6. Are the BAKFlip truck bed covers simple to remove?
Without the need for tools, BAKFlips can be removed by using a single pin on each side and a thumbscrew underneath.
In conclusion, our BAKFlip MX4 review reveals an exceptional tonneau cover that excels in durability, functionality, and security. With its rugged construction, user-friendly design, and outstanding real-world performance, the BAKFlip MX4 is a top choice for truck owners seeking both style and protection. Don’t miss out on the BAKFlip MX4 – a game-changer for your truck!
Jonathan’s writing journey started in college, where he majored in English Literature and developed a passion for trucks. Combining storytelling and automotive expertise, he pursued a unique writing path, creating knowledge-sharing articles and reviews about trucking themes. With extensive experience in the automotive industry, Jonathan ventured into freelance writing, collaborating with various automotive websites and blogs, and earning a reputation for delivering well-researched, practical, and engaging content that helps readers make informed decisions about their truck accessories.